Monday, April 23, 2007

Sweaters in Crocheter's Attic


Good Afternoon!

With Mother's Day coming there are a lot of things if your mom is crafty what can be given as a nice gift. Mom's mostly love flowers/candy..usually a given..but they love even more when they are given a thoughtful gift that surrounds what they love to do.. Some mom's ski..well, not me!..some mom's are into gardening.. a great gift might be a pretty pair of garden gloves along with some beautiful plants already to be put in the ground or in pots. Little children could paint cute designs on terra cotta planters and then put a plant in it.

I'm not a gardener. Mostly because plants don't have a really good life expectancy with me..
But, I'm a crafter. I love yarn..it loves me.. I swear every time I go to walmart at least one skein pops into my cart. Perhaps that thoughtful gift would be a crocheted shawl. Nice on cool spring evenings or on a chilly evening. My youngest daughter gave me Doodle loom to make pom poms..We were trying to remember just what celebration it was that she gave it to me..doesn't matter really. It sure came in handy to embellish hats and sweaters. Regardless of what you choose just remember to think what does mom do that she enjoys? and you most likely will do well in your choice.

Here is the beginning of a sweater pattern that I can share with you. I will give you a the instructions for the body of the sweater. When I next blog I will post the right front of the sweater. This is done in body, right front, Back, and left front. The sweater is darling. I hope you enjoy this..
Materials
Baby Fingering Weight
4 1/2 oz for the sweater
Hook size is D, F

Instructions:
Begin using F hook
Ch 139 loosely
Row1 : Sc in second chain from hook and in each ch across: 138 sc

Row 2: (right side): Ch 3 (counts as first dc, now and throughout), turn: work Cross Stitches across to last sc, dc in last sc. 34 cross sts.

Note: Mark last row as right side.

Row 3: ch 3, turn; work Cross sts across to last dc, dc in last dc.

Rows 4 and 5: Ch 1, turn; sc in each st across: 138 sc.

Rows 6-24: Repeat Rows 2-5, 4 times; then repeat Rows 2-4 once more.

Change to a D hook.

To sc decrease, pull up a loop in the next 2sts, YO and draw through all 3 loops on hook (counts as one sc)

Row 25: Ch 1, turn; sc in first 8sc, sc decrease, (sc in next 5 sc, sc decrease) across to last 9 sc, sc in last 9sc; do not finish off: 120 sc.

To work Cross St: skip next st, dc in next 3 sts, YO, working around 3-dc group just made, insert hook from front to back in skipped st, YO and pull up a loop even with last dc made, (YO and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice (long dc made).

This sweater will come out to be a darling soft little sweater. This sweater was passed down. So hopefully there are no mistakes..lol..
In Crocheters Attic this week..a new square to be added.. and another sweater pattern different from this..

Until we meet again!
Hook's Up!
Leslee
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crochetersattic/

No comments: