Saturday, August 25, 2007

Great Crochet Finds.."Scrumbling"


I found some interesting things online today. First, I have an old friend that from time to time sends me all sorts of information. She also belongs to a fiber group in the U.K. Then also will I have to say to her..ummm...what does this mean? translate please?..

To my delight she sent me something else today. I opened to the url sent to me and found that there is a small guild in New South Wales that had workshops. Attached to that url was workshops. They have U. S. translation and then what they called "the rest of the world". Oh, and since they give the translation from U.S. to "rest of the world", I now have a resource for information. I opened the first one which shows choosing a yarn and hook!... What a find! The guild says we can use them for our own purposes or teaching needs. I'm going to download and add these to my Cd collection for use in helping others learn to Crochet. I'm also passing on this tidbit to you:
http://www.crochet.nu/scjwc/workshops/index.html Use it well.

Our new word for today?

'Scrumbling' ( from: (late)sylvia cosh/james walters crochet)

"'Scrumbling' (that is, making things up as you go along) has always been our word for free-form crochet. There is a whole range of different techniques and philosophies behind the idea – probably as many as there are people doing it. Ours have usually been about finding what suited us and took us in new directions. It is all about peeling off the layers of household grime which have accumulated around the infinitely popular, but limited, 'painting by numbers' tradition of domestic crochet and discovering underneath a brilliantly simple and expressive technique. Starting with a hook and a continuous thread of some kind, each of us can make fabrics and structures in two and three dimensions, allowing our eyes, hands and heart all to work together to create intuitively and immediately

What we have always tried to teach are down-to-earth, practical approaches to help people to develop their own creative personalities, rather than always to be measuring themselves against someone else's set-piece crochet 'recipes'. It is still my plan to use this space to help de-mystify the things that often confuse or intimidate people about crochet, so they can really begin to fly …" This lady left a wonderful legacy behind her. She shared her craft with the Crochet Guild of America among many others. What a wonderful thing to leave behind for our loved ones to benefit in.~ Leslee

There is a delightful new free pattern today from Annie's Attic. Its a purple pineapple plant hanger. I was really surprised. Its one of those little things you find along the way that you want to save and add for a gift project. Many times those little finds are great gifts. This one has a practical use for your household too.

Until we meet Again!
Hook's Up!
Leslee
http://craftersintheattic.nexo.com/

No comments: